A moment in time: This is what my office desk looks like right now. (Thanks to the fact that we had people over last night, it’s spick-and-span). Sometimes the things we hold onto – the tokens we keep, the notes we jot down – are the things that keep us going…the things that make us work.
In the day-to-day grind, this is what inspires me:
1. My Sharpie supply. I stock up about twice a year, but never seem to hold onto these things. At an artist’s house, I saw jars and jars and jars filled with black and silver sharpie markers. So at least now I know where they end up. 🙂
2. Current Projects: Ben Kweller’s Go Fly A Kite, Lincoln Durham’s The Shovel vs. The Howling Bones, Bill Wence’s Analog Man in a Digital World, This One’s For Him – A Tribute to Guy Clark, Ray Wylie Hubbard’s The Grifter’s Hymal, Sons of Bill’s Siren’s, Lucero’s Women & Work. I’m so proud to do what I do.
3. My mixtape collection. I have friends who sometimes make me mix tapes. I love them all – they remind me how lucky I am to have such brilliant and eclectic friends – and I throw them into the mix whenever I need to clear my music-filled head.
4. Sealing wax and other fancy stuff. *grin*
5. My listening pile. I listen to new music all the time…and the pile never seems to go away. Thank goodness!
6. James gave me this “Special Shit” BBQ seasoning recently. And though it’s delicious on chicken, I like to keep it on my desk (especially during those difficult, up-hill-all-the-way kind of weeks.)
7. Lamp shade with the names of every project I’ve ever worked. Like notches in a gun, I imagine. And clipped onto the lamp shade is one of my favorite quotes: “To achieve great things, two things are needed – A plan, and not quite enough time.” – Leonard Bernstein
8. Americana Music Award tickets – these are two very lucky tickets!! At these two AMA award shows, JFP artists were big winners! Gurf Morlix for “Instrumentalist of the Year,” and James McMurtry for “Album of the Year” and “Song of the Year”.
9. “Cowboy Jim.” An original drawing by Todd Snider, who can draw really good t-shirts and dog faces. 🙂
10. Dawes ticket from their last performance at La Zona Rosa. It was an incredible live show – they captured every single member of the audience that night. Another reminder of how blessed I am to be part of it all.
11. Bumper stickers from my favorite radio stations, and organizations. Wish I had more (hint, hint).
12. Set list from a solo McMurtry show (back when he first thought it would be a good idea to do solo shows again. It was.)
OK – what works for you? Let me know what you have on YOUR desk right now!